Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pittsburgh: Home of the Yinzer

Living in the same place my whole life, I came to college 100% positive that I DO NOT have an accent.  Well, apparently I do.  I can't hear it, nor can most of my friends, but I've been told certain words I say sound weird to other people. 
In fact, some words go over people's heads all together:
"Guys, watch out it's slippy!"
"Anyone want to go grab hoagies and pop?"
"You should probably redd up your room"
"Come on guys, quit jagging around!"

Any of that make sense?

Here's the translation, for you non-Pittsburghers:
"Guys, watch out it's slippery!:
"Anyone want to go grab subs and soda?"
"You should probably clean up your room" "Come on guys, quit messing around"

I've heard each and everyone of those statements for as long as I can remember.  Realizing people don't understand me sometimes seems so weird. Realizing so much of my speech is slang from my hometown, I decided to look up some other Pittsburghese words:

 jimmies: sprinkles
nebby: trying to pry into the affairs of others
spicket: faucet
sweeper: vacuum cleaner
gumband: rubber-band

I won't lie, I say all of those.  But I am not an Yinzer. Urban dictionary defines a yinzer as "A resident of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Known for their love of all things Steelers and Donnie Iris and extreme hatred of Cleveland. Consists mainly on Primanti Brothers and ethnic cuisine. Yinzers can be easily identified by their one-of-a-kind, ridiculous accent."

So yes, a lot of those things apply to me, but that "one of a kind" accent they refer to, I do not have.

I don't say yinz, aka "you guys".
I have never said the word "stillers," aka steelers.
N'at (and that) has never passed my lips.
Or Sliberty, which actually means East Liberty, a urban area of the city.

I am guilty of possibly the WORST Pittsburghese though: I leave out "to be" in sentences.
Example:
Instead of "the car needs to be washed," I would say "the car needs washed"
Yes, that is not proper English. I wasn't actually aware of that until a few years ago. 

Thanks to my crazy city, I may say some stupid things, leave out basic words in English sentences, and people can't understand me. Frankly, I don't care. I'm proud to have an accent that makes me distinct from everyone else, represents my city, and has partially made me who I am.

Long live the Yinzer.

PS here is a video showing some of common Pittsburghese (Yes, the girl is so annoying):
Also, here's a website dedicated to everything Pittsburghese:

3 comments:

  1. My parents both have thick Pittsburgh accents and neglect the "to be," but it's something that I've avoided. I still do say spicket on occasion, though. Some habits die hard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are from the Pittsburgh area, but I've lived in Detroit most of my life, and I still catch myself saying these things! I should probably teach my parents a grammar lesson...

    Taylor M. McCarty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the good old lack of "to be" in a sentence. I'm very guilty of that too. I didn't even know that was wrong until last year. A few of my friends up here often comment on the little bit of Pittsburghese that I say.

    ReplyDelete