Thursday, March 29, 2012

I've Got a Million Dollar View

There really aren't too many feelings like the one when you see a truly breathtaking view.

Picture from: incline.pghfree.net
Back in the day, Mt. Washington was known as "coal hill," but by 1876 had been changed to Mt. Washington. A year later, the first photo of the skyline was taken there, and almost every photo you see of the skyline, was probably taken from one of the "lookouts," places that are specifically designed for people to take pictures at.  There really isn't much history to the place. It's literally just a mountain, with a really good view of the city. Today, there are neighborhoods existing on Mt. Washington, but most visitors don't go past the very edge to see the view.  Also, guys, if you want to impress your girlfriend, take them to eat on Mt. Washington. I hear girls are into those types of things.

Prom with the city lights
I remember my first visit to Mt. Washington during the summer after sophomore year. At least that's the first time I remember being there.  I won't lie, the incline (the OLDEST in the world) is possibly the scariest thing I've ever been on.  The incline is one of the few ways to make it up Mt. Washington. It's a rickety, old, trolley-like means of transportation--one of the few things that is still cheap too. Some of those memories that will never leave me happened up there. Going up the incline with my German exchange student and seeing a look of absolute amazement on her face when we got to the top, or driving up at 10 pm on prom night, in a beautiful dress, and taking pictures, feeling like I was on top of the world.


It's one of the few places when people can stop all their thinking, their stress, their worries and can really focus on and lose themselves in what is in front of them: an amazing, gorgeous city.

Don't believe me? Well, Mt. Washington was named the second most beautiful vista in the world by USA weekend. And they definitely speak the truth.

2 comments:

  1. I love Mt. Washington!
    ... and your prom picture ;)

    Taylor M. McCarty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so scared the first time I went on the incline. My mom's friend kept telling me thay it was so old that it would break. Even though I've lived across the bridge, i can sadly admit that I have never been farther than the lookout.

    ReplyDelete